Marine insurance is our specialty — that’s all we do.
Purchasing a new ‘toy’ is a thrill and we’re dedicated to seeing it protected and setting you on the right insurance course.
We know the lure of the water — as boat enthusiasts ourselves, we’ve heard its call. Let Western’s marine insurance team provide you the right protection you need. We’re excited to get you on the water and know a lifetime of memories awaits you. We’ve spent 12 years listening to and caring for our customers. We’re committed to client education and teaching the nuances of each policy. In marine insurance, every policy is different and we’re licensed to sell in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, as well as the Yukon and Northwest Territories.
Western Financial Group Marine Insurance Coverage
From ocean vessels to lake and river boats, our experts in Victoria, British Columbia can help you get the coverage you need.
- Our marine policies for local and offshore vessels are purchased for a full year. Your policy works for you when your boat is in the water and in storage too — that’s our commitment.
- Emergency towing back to safe harbour is also typically covered. If you break down following a covered loss, you can apply for loss of use and rent another watercraft, up to a policy limit.
- Older boats, usually 15 years or older, typically require surveys every 5 years — or every 3 for wooden boats — to inform us of the condition, value and whether it’s safe for the water.
- Our experts explain the ins and outs of the coverages, as well as insurance terminology.
- Your policy also covers personal items onboard that you wouldn’t sell with your boat, including clothing, dishes, gear for inclimate weather among others.
- Through pet companion coverage, if something were to happen to your dog onboard your boat, you may be able to claim that expense under your marine insurance policy
Through our strong partnerships with our insurers, we’ve insured boats all over the world. Specialty offshore policies are available for adventurers preparing for long sailing voyages.
These products require a separate application process and advanced vetting. We’ll need to know your qualifications and experience and that your boat is equipped for offshore use.
We need details showing us you have the proper number of crew, rigging and all the necessary safety equipment. For this product, we’ll require sailing resumes.
Named windstorm coverages are also available through Western if you’re sailing on open seas in tropical zones. Clients’ detailed hurricane plans are submitted for approval.